Sunday, December 8, 2019

Nastia's birthday. Can she really be twenty-one already??!!

Nastia slept in our bed last night so she could wake up on her birthday with us. To someone on the outside it must seem strange for a girl of twenty years and 364 days to be sleeping with her parents. I didn't mind even though she took up more room then Athena in the bed. And it was sweet to hear her say she wanted to wake up with us on her birthday. It wasn't like in Ferris Bueller's day off when he acts like a little kid to get something he wants ( you better have seen it. It's one of the best movies from the 80's *) She genuinely wanted to be with us. She told me back in the dark days (my words) in Russia, after some bad things happened which I really don't know what they are and can only guess, she decided to be happy, Elena didn't. I wouldn't have either.
       I wake up around seven, kissed Nastia and wish her a 'happy twenty-first birthday.' Teri echos it. I go off to work after cleaning the fresh snow fall of about five inches off Elena's and my cars.Elena goes off to school leaving Nastia and Teri to spend the day together. They get her nails done and have a nice time together. The plan is for us all to meet up at home around six to have dinner at Mt. Fuji. Mt Fuji is a japanese steak and hibachi restaurant. It is a very successful restaurant and there are others that have popped up and tried to match it. Cho Cho San in Nanuet at the old Triangle Steak Pub location is one I have gone to and enjoyed. It was pricey, but it was for Elena's birthday. The other time we went it might have been Nastia's birthday.
       So on December 3, 2019 we all gather at the house. It is just going to be the four of us. Money is a little tight and Nastia was only allowed to invite David. But David has school in Albany and there was that snow storm that dropped six inches on us and dropped 22 on him. Plus David can be a little odd sometimes, I don't know him well enough to decide what is going on with him. Sometimes he ignores Nastia, is it because he is laser focused on school or he doesn't know how to be in a relationship with someone who obviously adores him. From what I've seen and heard and some of it might be wrong he doesn't have many good role models in his life. I won't go into to them now.
      We drive up the Thruway north toward Suffern, Teri is driving. We get off at exit 15A and swing around onto Route 17. About a mile or so up on the left is the entrance to Mt. Fuji. The huge red
entrance can't be missed. Like I've said I've never been there and I didn't expect the long drive up the mountain. Well it used to be the Motel on the Mountain all those years ago. The drive up the mountain is tense because Teri is petrified of anything that might be ice. If there is an ice cube in the road it feels like she is afraid that if she hits it the car will go careening off the road and crash down the side of the mountain. After a few minute drive up the intensely curvy road Mt. Fuji appears at the top. It is cold and there is only valet parking. Once inside we walk to the desk and announce that Muller party of four is here. We wait in the bar Nastia and Elena engage in some intense conversation. After watching them some I too want to look at my phone.
 We are seated near a window. Out of habit I try to take a seat that will be good for a left handed person. I hostess motions me over to the exact opposite side near the windows and all night long I try to not elbow Nastia as she unaware occasionally elbows me. We order drinks after getting an eye opening look at the prices of the food. Cho Cho San had Sam Adams, Mt. Fuji doesn't. If you are starting to get a vibe here you're not wrong. I order a Corona, Nastia wants a Pina Colada, Elena gets a virgin, Teri water. Nastia sips her drink and goes, "oh, this is nice you don't even taste the alcohol." wait it's coming. I
drink mr beer, Elena, who I am concerned about turning twenty-one sneaks a sip of Nastia's drink along with Teri. Nastia then takes another sip and realizes the alcohol hadn't mixed completely and now she is tasting it. I take a sip, the drink has a pleasant taste with a slight bit to it, an excellent drink. Nastia gives the drink to Teri to finish, so ends Nastia's night drinking. The Chef arrives and the usual enjoyable entertainment and good food. The night ends around 10 pm. We settle up for about what I thought the bill would be.
       We head out to get our car. Now this is the part I hate the most about valet parking. It seems that every time we go to a place with valet parking it is like minus seven degrees. Tonight was no exception. The cold air on top of the mountain hits us as we pass through the door to the snow covered walkway. The restaurant was empty, so I thought the valet would be, but no everyone who was in the restaurant decided to leave five minutes before we did. It didn't take to long to get our car, the valets did work hard to bring the cars up, but the time we spent there made me think of the Donner party. (They got stuck in the mountains on their way to California in the 1800's and had to eat dead members of their party to survive, lucky we'd just eaten)After what seemed like forever, it was just five, six minutes our car arrives and we take the treacherous trip down the mountain. Teri fearing that every dark spot on the road was ice. I was driving because of that. We survive the trip down the
mountain and make it back to Congers.





Ferris Bueller's Day Off is a 1986 American teen comedy film written, co-produced, and directed by John Hughes, and co-produced by Tom Jacobson. The film stars Matthew Broderick as Ferris Bueller, a high-school slacker who spends a day off from school in Chicago, with Mia Sara and Alan Ruck.
Produced by‎: ‎John Hughes‎; Tom Jacobson
Box office‎: ‎$70.1 million
Music by‎: ‎Ira Newborn
Edited by‎: ‎Paul Hirsch























/

1 comment: