Friday, July 4, 2014

And the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in mid-air gave proof through the night that our flag was still there....

Had a full day today. For the last few days it has been raining. Amanda took the tent and didn't return it until tonight, but with all the rain it didn't matter. The Girls still have nine weeks to sleep out.
   The rain kept up until early afternoon, when Teri thought taking in a movie was a good idea. We went to see 'How to train your Dragon II' It got good reviews.
   After that we were going to eat dinner at home then go to the fireworks in Nyack. Time got away from us and we ate at mash burger on the Nanuet/Spring Valley border. Burgers were good, fries were nothing special.
  We got to Nyack about nine and walked down to Memorial Park. I bought some folding chair and opened one up as the fireworks just started. We had positioned ourselves in the road, just past the houses, at a break in the trees. The night was breezy and a little cool, perfect to watch fireworks.
   On the walk down some memories of other times came to mind.
   Annya and Leonid's visit with us two summers ago. I remember walking back up from the park and they were ahead of me and I had to really stretch my legs to catch up and thought it would be fun to finally have someone who had long legs and could keep up with me when I walked. I wonder where they are now? Annya is still in the orphanage. Leonid, most likely in the army. I hope they are happy.
   Walking past a side street off main, I remembered coming down to a Pizza Parlor for June's birthday, parking on a side street and seeing a little vegetable garden I man had grown using his front lawn and in it were corn stalks over ten feet tall. It was amazing.
  The last story happened on another July 4th, about ten or so years ago when Tony, Teri's father was going to drive down to the fireworks and it was a hot humid night and I told him it was easier to walk down and back. I bet him I could beat him back to the house if I walked. I did win, but I was drenched in sweat and in the long run it didn't matter in the least. It didn't take that much more time and was most likely a lot easier.

1 comment:

  1. Sounded like a nice night with some nice memories.

    ReplyDelete