Saturday, November 3, 2012

Holloween goes bust again

The Girls were looking forward to Halloween, last year we had that big snow storm, the only snow of the winter and it wasn't safe for them to go out. There were wires down and trees uprooted, leaning on wires, generally just a big mess. This year mother nature went one better. I'll get to that in a minute.
   On Friday the twenty-sixth, Elena's friend, Jessica says to her that there is going to be a haunted House at the North High School and would she like to go? She says her mother could pick her up. Teri and I said no. If she wanted to go we would take her over and that was because no one cleared it with us first.
   We went over a little late and paid the five dollars per person to go in. The Girls go through the haunted House several times, they try to win gifts, we put tickets in bags to win prizes and the girls get their faces painted.
    Elena's friend doesn't get there because they didn't have the money, that was very sad.         
    Saturday, the twenty-seventh we take the girls to the Halloween parade in Nyack. We get there a little early and set up on a curb. By the time the parade starts the crowd is ten feet into the street leaving just enough room for trucks to go by.
  We also are next to this little cow who takes candy from my daughters hand when they are given it out during the parade. Teri rightfully pointed out I could not confront the kid, it would go bad and I would look like the bully. I was going to talk to the mother but I wasn't sure that would work out well either. Either way this little cow has more problems then stealing candy from other kids.
  I have also decided I hate the parade. No one is in control keeping the crowds back and the parade itself wasn't fun. Too many businesses advertising and too many people walking without costumes and the crowds are full of annoying people. I don't want to go back next year, but I will for the girls.
   Over the weekend they kept talking about this storm that was coming up the coast and it was going to merge with then cold front and a low was going to make it come up the coast and everyone better get ready, and we did. When the storm hit Monday late the wind started blowing and the trees were swaying. Sometimes the wind blew so hard it was like a freight train blasting through. Jersey got destroyed, the city got hit with full moon flood tides and water backing up going over sea walls by over a foot and a half. One hundred and eleven houses burned in breezy point, near Kennedy Airport.
   We got high winds and very little rain. We lost a few tree limbs and power for a little over two days. I bit the bullet at the end of the second day and bought a generator, over paying by about 600.00 dollars. I figured I had that much in the refrigerator. After a day without power it was a relief to have power again.
   The first night without power the girls and Teri played monopoly while I put the generator together and plugged in some things. The second night we unplugged everything to watch a movie on the DVD player. About ten pm the power came back. They had predicted it to be out seven to ten days. If I didn't get the generator, I would not of trusted anything in the refrigerator or the freezer.
   The big problem now is getting gas. Lines in Northern New Jersey are miles long and my job didn't have enough gas to send out all it's trucks one day. It's been an interesting few days. I wonder what Gods got against Halloween these last two years?

1 comment: